Monday, January 23, 2012

Design: To Label or Not To Label?

So, after Lars pointed me to the right direction, I think I managed to perfectly align widgets with checkbox labels. The next blog post will give the full details, but before that I have a small design question... Is it just me or the group labels are now visually redundant?

Compare


with


What do you think? Should I eliminate the labels or keep them for consistency with other windows?

By the way, I am aware that the entire authentication group should technically be inside the general group, but I couldn't figure out how to do this without making the layout look very unbalanced. Specially now that I'm aligning the widgets with the checkbox labels. Suggestions are welcome.

4 comments:

  1. Sans, IMO.

    No reason other than it looks nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does the holy GNOME HIG have to say about this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing. But admittedly this is a very specific situation.

      Delete
  3. Please change "Send credentials to proxy server" to "Proxy server requires authentication". It is easier to translate, less technical and more in line with similar text in existing applications (if memory serves me correctly).

    ReplyDelete